Thursday 4 November 2010

OREN : Exhibition Profile

Artists: Jan Vowles, Malcolm Waite and Glenn Allen

ARTIST STATEMENT: JAN VOWLES

Jan Vowles is a Newport born Watercolour artist, who is entirely self taught. Jan believes that an artist must be free to create whatever is "right" for each individual, and therefore rejects the rigid "rules" of watercolour, and the "system" rules, and creates art that is original in technique. Jan says, "An artist must be free to express his or her own personality, without being 'conditioned' to paint a certain way".



Jan started off, as many do, by painting realistic landscapes, but has now, automatically, started painting semi-abstract. Jan says, "Because I am self taught, I have automatically found the way of painting that is "right" for me, it has emerged slowly, and I find I can now no longer paint realistic paintings, all my most recent work is semi-abstract. It wasn't a conscious choice, it just happened"

No comments:

Post a Comment