Tuesday 22 June 2010

Who: John Sherwood
Where: Glas (The Blue Shop)
When: 14 - 25 June

Since reading a book about Van Gogh in the school library I have wanted to be an Artist. I did badly at school except in Art class, making some pocket money doing other kids Art homework in the process.

­After school, I did a foundation course at Worcester Tech where I met the best Art teacher I ever had, Lionel Mills, an eccentric but inspiring teacher, whose ideas and approaches to painting I still employ now. I later went on to Art College in Cheltenham and was offered a place at the Royal College of Art but could not afford to go, so I returned to Worcester.

I work from memory and imagination which I believe reveals another underlying reality behind the material surface of things. Personally, it does not matter what the paintings depict or mean, it is the act of painting itself that makes me return to my paints and bushes every day. Art should be shared by all, everybody can have a go!

1 comment:

  1. Hi John, I was trying to find out about my old teacher and found this blob. I have one too, a blog Jane Aston, painter in blogger. Maybe I should look for a more recent entry to comment on. I'm off to look at some of your paintings now.
    Do visit my blog and check out some of my paintings, Jane.

    ReplyDelete